Read Pastor Dave’s Letter on Reopening
For the past five months, we have all been adapting to the changes necessitated by COVID-19. From the beginning, we have looked to the counsel of the CDC and epidemiologists and to direction from the State of Minnesota and local schools when making decisions about when and how to open our facility safely. The health and well-being of members, guests, teachers and students are our primary concern. That has not changed and as a result we have made the decision to postpone worship in the sanctuary until after Christmas 2020. If and when changes offer us new insights, we will keep you informed. So, briefly, here is what you need to know:
- Worship will continue online each weekend. Our Studio M has some great new offerings coming your way this fall!
- Our Outdoor Summer Worship worked so well that we’re continuing on into fall. Outdoor Worship will be offered on Sunday mornings beginning September 20 at 10:30am.
- We are excited about our new fall programming! Sunday School, Confirmation, Crosspaths, Adult Bible Studies, The Vine, and more will be bringing Mount Calvary into your homes via the world wide web.
- The church office will be open Monday through Friday from 9am to 4pm. Come on by! Just keep in mind that whenever entering the building, face masks will be required.
- We invite you to reach out for pastoral care needs by emailing one of the pastors or Pat Kamerud or by leaving a message on the church voicemail.
We believe that the body of Christ is called to be both a faithful presence and prophetic witness. Followers of Jesus have worshipped historically and globally under every and all circumstances, threats, wars, and even persecution. Following our rich Christian history, we are able to take any form to express our worship of Jesus Christ, from filling sanctuaries to gatherings of two or three people, and now even through the gift of technology, Jesus has promised to be among us. In this moment, our primary gatherings will be in homes and virtually. We look forward to gathering again in person, and yet, we are seeing God work in powerful ways as the Holy Spirit draws God’s people into places of service and care.
This was a difficult, but very clear-cut decision for us to make. We appreciate the complexity and unprecedented challenges and decisions our elected officials, school boards, business owners, and families are facing. We together applaud our frontline workers who carry the burden of this moment in ways few of us can imagine. We grieve with those who have lost loved ones during this season. We pray for those who have lost jobs and businesses, and all those who have suffered financially in this time. We pray for our homeless neighbors, those with food insecurity, those who are home but not safe, and all others who are dramatically and negatively affected by this moment.
While our bias will always be towards choosing face-to-face relationships and gathered worship, we will not risk compromising the safety and health of our community or neighbors. Our understanding of worship is not limited to a certain place or time and our understanding of what it means to be the Church has more to do with the many ways we are engaging the world than in our gathering in one facility at a point in time. Mount Calvary continues to share God’s unending grace, inclusivity, love, and service in, with, and through you! Thank you!
Blessings and peace,